Rabo Encendido (Cuban Style Oxtail Stew).
You can cook Rabo Encendido (Cuban Style Oxtail Stew) using 14 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Rabo Encendido (Cuban Style Oxtail Stew)
- It’s 3.5-4 pounds of oxtail with outer layer of fat trimmed.
- It’s 1.5 teaspoons of salt.
- Prepare 2 Tablespoons of flour.
- Prepare of oil.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, minced.
- Prepare 1 of small red/orange/yellow bell pepper, minced (green will do in a pinch, but it lacks the sweetness of the other kinds).
- It’s 5 of large cloves garlic, minced (2 – 3 Tablespoons).
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of oregano.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of cumin.
- You need of optional: 1/2 teaspoon allspice.
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 3 Tablespoons of tomato paste.
- Prepare 2 cups of liquid (any combination of water, dry wine, or unsalted beef/chicken/vegetable stock).
- You need 1-2 teaspoons of ground black pepper.
Rabo Encendido (Cuban Style Oxtail Stew) step by step
- Season oxtails with 1 teaspoon salt and dust with 2 Tablespoons flour..
- Add 1 Tablespoon oil to your pot, bring it up to medium heat, and brown the oxtail on 2 sides for about 4 minutes per side. Take oxtail out of pot and set aside for next step..
- Add 1/2 Tablespoon oil to pot then add onions, bell pepper, and garlic and sweat for 4 to 5 minutes until the onions turn translucent..
- Add spices (oregano, cumin, all spice, bay leaf) and tomato paste, and stir to incorporate and caramelize tomato paste a bit..
- Add oxtails back into pot along with liquid, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper, give it a few gentle stirs, and bring it up to a boil, covered. (This should take 7 to 10 minutes.).
- Once it comes up to a boil for a minute or so, lower the heat to low and simmer the oxtail for 3 to 3.5 hours, covered, stirring every 30 minutes or so to redistribute and keep the oxtail from sticking or burning. Adjust seasoning before the last 30 minutes of cook time..
- ALTERNATIVE OVEN INSTRUCTIONS: If you have an oven safe pot, you can put it into a preheated 325F oven for 3 to 3.5 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so..
- Enjoy! :).