Dave's southern chicken stew. Southern Style Chicken Stew is a time-honored, classic recipe that everyone should have in their recipe box. It's easy to make since it's really more of a cooking method than a recipe. We are SO excited that you put the SOUTHERN STYLE on here!! we winged it and it's AMAZING!! first timers-Amanda & Lauren.
This is another form of what we refer to in the south as smothered chicken, beginning with the searing of cut up chicken, then a roux based gravy is prepared, to which the chicken is returned and slow simmered. It's somewhat similar to Chicken Fricassee, a smothered. This simple southern chicken stew (aka Chicken Mull) recipe consists of chicken, onions, broth, evaporated milk, bouillon, butter and salt and pepper. You can have Dave's southern chicken stew using 7 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Dave's southern chicken stew
- Prepare 1 of whole chicken minus the innards (cut up makes it easier).
- Prepare of Water.
- It’s of Whole Milk (about 1/2 gallon).
- Prepare 2 sticks of real salted butter.
- You need of About 1cup self rising flour.
- You need of Salt.
- Prepare of Pepper.
One of my boys' favorite things for me to cook this time of year is Chicken Stew. It's even better the next day, but it doesn't last very long in our. Chicken Stew With Cheddar-Chive BiscuitsMelissa's Southern Style Kitchen. Crock Pot Chicken Stew With Vegetables Recipes.
Dave's southern chicken stew step by step
- In a 2 gallon pot, add whole chicken (including skin),butter, salt & pepper to taste. Fill with water to roughly 2/3 full (enough to cover the chicken completely). Boil for 1 hour..
- Remove chicken from broth and allow to cool..
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, separate all bones and skin leaving only the meat..
- Scoop out about 15oz of broth and pour in a mixing bowl. Mix in flour until mixture resembles an extra thick gravy. Set to the side..
- Add chicken meat back to the pot with broth and bring back to a boil. While waiting, get milk and flour mixture ready to add..
- Once the pot has begun a hard boil, add flour mixture then add enough milk to bring the pot back to 2/3 and stir..
- Continue to stir until the pot is boiling again and allow to boil for 2-5 minutes. DO NOT STOP STIRRING UNTIL THE STEW IS FINISHED..
- Remove from heat and serve..
This hearty stew takes its cues from West Africa, particularly Senegal and The Gambia, known for peanut, or groundnut, stews. It's also easy to make and quite satisfying for those who love peanut butter. And this recipe puts the African staple—peanuts—to good use in this slightly spicy stew. Add chicken pieces and fry until lightly browned. Add water, tomatoes, onions, sugar, and wine or apple juice.