Pongteh Chicken (Nyonya-style Yellow Bean Chicken Stew).
You can cook Pongteh Chicken (Nyonya-style Yellow Bean Chicken Stew) using 15 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Pongteh Chicken (Nyonya-style Yellow Bean Chicken Stew)
- It’s 350 g of Chicken Meat (boneless, skinless, cut into pieces).
- You need 200 g of Potatoes (cubed).
- It’s 100 g of Mushrooms (Shitake or Brown, sliced).
- It’s 100 g of Carrots (sliced).
- You need 2-4 cups of Water (as needed).
- You need of Pre-Sauce Mix (mix well in a bowl);.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of Light Soy Sauce.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Dark Soy Sauce.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of Fermented Yellow Bean Paste (Taucu).
- It’s of Other Ingredients;.
- You need 2-3 Tbsp of Palm Sugar (this one is necessary).
- It’s 30 g of Shallots (minced).
- Prepare 30 g of Garlic (minced).
- You need 30 g of Ginger (minced).
- You need 4 Tbsp of Cooking Oil.
Pongteh Chicken (Nyonya-style Yellow Bean Chicken Stew) step by step
- SAUTÉ; In a medium size pot, heat up the Cooking Oil until hot and sauté the Garlic, Shallots and Ginger until fragrant..
- SAUCE & CHICKEN; add the Pre-Sauce Mix and stir well. Then add the chicken pieces and cook them until brown all over (2 minutes each sides 4 minutes total, on medium to high heat)..
- VEGGIES & PALM SUGAR; add the Potatoes, Mushrooms, Carrots and Palm Sugar. Then mix well..
- WATER; The amount of water depends in the size of the pot, and the quantity of ingredients. Start with 2 cups of Water first and add just enough to submerge all the ingredients. You don't want to add too much water..
- STEWING; Bring the stew to a Boil and then lower the heat to a Simmer. Cover with a lid and let it stew until the Potatoes and Carrots are tender and the liquid has thicken (depending on the amount of Water, it could take 15-45 mins). REMEMBER to stir the pot occasionally. SERVE hot..