Mom's 70's Brunswick Chicken Stew.
You can have Mom's 70's Brunswick Chicken Stew using 17 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Mom's 70's Brunswick Chicken Stew
- It’s of Ingredients.
- Prepare 3 lb of broiler-fryer chicken.
- It’s 1 tbsp of salt.
- You need 2 quart of water.
- You need 1/4 lb of ham, cubed.
- Prepare 2 of onions, chopped.
- It’s 1 of green bell pepper, chopped.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of fresh parsley, chopped.
- You need 1 can of (16-ounce) tomatoes, drained and chopped.
- It’s 1 can of (16-ounce) corn, drained.
- It’s 1 packages of (10-ounce) frozen baby lima beans.
- It’s 1 packages of (10-ounce) frozen okra.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of sea salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of thyme.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 2 tsp of hot sauce.
Mom's 70's Brunswick Chicken Stew step by step
- Combine the chicken, tablespoon of salt, and water in a Dutch oven or soup pot and bring to a boil..
- Reduce the heat and simmer the chicken covered for 1 hour..
- Remove the chicken and allow to cool. Save the chicken broth and skim off any excess fat..
- Remove the skin and debone the chicken. Cube the chicken..
- Add the chicken back into the pot with the broth. Stir in the rest of the ingredients..
- Simmer for 2 hours covered..
- Remove the b-day leaf and serve hot with crusty bread..
- TIP: The okra is what thickens this stew. If you are like me and don't care for a lot of okra, you can stir in a tablespooon of cornstarch mixed with water. Raise the heat to let the slurry thicken and the serve..