Chicken Katsu Curry.
You can have Chicken Katsu Curry using 16 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chicken Katsu Curry
- Prepare of Chicken Katsu.
- Prepare of Chicken Breasts (pounded until thin).
- Prepare of Egg.
- You need of Flour.
- Prepare of Japanese Panko-Style Breadcrumbs.
- You need of Salt and Pepper.
- Prepare of Cooking Oil (for frying).
- Prepare of Curry.
- Prepare of Vermont Mild Japanese Curry Sauce (comes with two curry sauce cubes in a package).
- You need of Potatoes (or 3 medium potatoes).
- It’s of White Onion.
- It’s of Carrots.
- It’s of Minced Garlic (optional).
- It’s of Water.
- You need of Scallions (for garnish).
- Prepare of Vegetable Oil.
Chicken Katsu Curry step by step
- For the curry, peel (optional) and cut up potatoes into wedges. Dice the onion. Peel and chop up the carrots. Mince the garlic..
- In a stewing pot, add oil and garlic in the pot and heat up the garlic and oil at the same time to infuse garlic taste..
- When the garlic starts to turn a golden color, add in diced onion and cook until onion is translucent..
- When the onion starts to take on a little color, add in potatoes, carrots, and water. Bring to a boil..
- When the soup comes to a boil, turn down the heat and leave it to simmer for about 30 minutes our until the potatoes are knife-tender..
- After the potatoes become tender, break up the curry cubes and add to the pot of veggies. Turn down the heat to low and stir the curry into the soup to thicken. Stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes. (I'm using Vermont brand curry sauce, but you can definitely use any other curry sauce recipe you like).
- While the curry is thickening, start pounding both chicken breasts flat with either the smooth side of a meat tenderizer, a rolling pin, or the palm of your hands! (Great stress reliever)..
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper..
- Separate the flour, egg (cracked and beaten), and panko in three different shallow plates. Start dredging and chicken. Toss the chicken in the flour until coated, shake off any excess flour, and soak in the beaten egg until covered. Pick up the chicken and then toss the chicken in the bread crumbs, pressing the crumbs into the chicken. Repeat with other chicken breast let the chicken rest while the oil is heating..
- Heat the oil in a high-side pan on medium heat. To tell if the oil is ready, drop a bread crumb into the oil and watch for a light crackle sound. Drop the chicken in the oil and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels and slice into strips..
- Serve your curry on a bed of fluffy rice and top with crispy chicken and sliced scallions. Voila!.